Boost your app with custom UI sounds
Audio Bits provide tailor-made interface sounds for your app. By putting just the right sounds in just the right place, Audio Bits gives your app a clearer and bigger impact.
Sadly, UI sound design for apps is often overlooked, but can be a valuable asset to any project. Here are some points about how sound can contribute to your app:
- Emphasise important functions
- Achieve a more professional product
- Add a sound identity (and audio logo) e.g. a characteristic notification sound, and stand out in public
- Communicate with the user when they don't see the GUI (e.g. in a fitness app)
- Complement the UI with tactile sensations (e.g. by adding sound to a jog wheel)
- Help weak-sighted people
And here's what a professional sound designer can add to your project:
- Create custom-made sounds to suit your app's specific needs
- Design sounds specialised for small speakers
- Make sure the sound design matches the visual design of your GUI
- A shared identity through all sounds in your app
- Help you determine when sound makes sense
- Choose which sounds should be subtle and which should stand out
- Technical knowledge about digital audio, acoustics, psychoacoustics etc.
Companies I have delivered sounds to
My name is Nikolaj de Haan Mikkelsen and I’m an audio nerd and a UI sound designer. I love creating new and original sounds, and constantly look for things to record. I always carry around my portable recorder and have a huge library of recordings from my studio and around the world.
I believe we're heading towards a world, where our technology strives to be less intrusive on our attention, encouraging us to stare less at our small screens, giving a more holistic experience. Therefore, I think UI sounds will play a bigger role in the future, as more things will need audio to guide the user – and my mission is to make this sound better and get rid of all the audio clutter through intentional and meaningful sounds – to make the world sound just a little bit better.
I'm educated in sound design, electronic music and music production at The Royal Academy of Music in Denmark, and have experience working with many different professional sound design processes. Furthermore, I am co-owner and sound designer at Finetone UI sound packs.
I am very conscious about the importance of communication during the design process, and make a big effort of understanding the concept behind your app, and afterwards presenting my sound sketches in an easily accessible way.
I'm also a musician, and you are very welcome to check out one of my bands: Silent People.
The Design Process
Here's an example of how the typical sound design process for an app would look like:
You are allowed to use your sounds free of charge and royalty free in any of your projects (apps, games, videos, animations, presentations, audio books...) be it for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
However, you are not allowed to:
- Post, license or resell the sounds for others to download, copy or use
- Share the sounds with non-purchasers of Audio Bits
- Use them as a raw material to create new sounds that you will sell, distribute or offer for downloading
Unless agreed on, you are not allowed to:
- Distribute the sounds in apps that use the sounds as the app's sound library for other people's use (such as video editing app, animation creator, song maker app, ebook creator...)
- Use the sounds in any form of "easy app builder" tools or websites
- Use the sounds in a way that encourages downstream distribution - e.g. templates, skins, theme kits or similar uses (the person using the theme or template might not know where the sounds came from and thus wouldn't be following the license)
By applicable law, in no event will licensor be liable to you on any legal theory for any special, incidental, consequential, punitive or exemplary damages arising out of this license or the use of the work, even if licensor has been advised of the possibility of such damages.